Saturday, March 17, 2012

Albatross isn't just the name of the new Big Wreck disk.

Let me first start off by saying I am totally biased here. I am a big fan of Big Wreck. They're pretty well the only band that kept me interested and hopeful about rock and roll thru the late '90s and the early '00s (my hope for the future was misplaced it turns out, but I didn't know that at the time). I liked both their big records, even tho everyone liked their first and no one really seemed to like their second.

Furthermore, I went to see them several times, including once in 1990somethin' and once last year on what I guess could be called their re-union tour. Both times, it was clear to me that there is one immutable fact I am sure of. Ian Thornley is a monster. Both as a vocalist, a lyricist, and a guitarist. If he was working in any other time in rock history, I shudder to think what he could do with an electric guitar. But he's working now, which means if he plays guitar too much, the record company won't want to have anything to do with him.

He has gotten in bed with Chad Kroeger too, and that's a pretty big problem for me. I have trouble trusting him to be an artist. I have trouble believing in his words and his notes the way I would like to. The way I do in the words and notes of Hendrix, Springsteen, Stevie Ray, Phil Lynott. I think Ian Thornley COULD be one of those guys, and Big Wreck COULD be one of those bands.

But with their latest release they have counted themselves out of that group. I'm not sure why they've done this, but I'm sure how.

Paulo Neta.

I know this sounds weird, but I notice these things. I notice when My Darkest Days, a band I ran into a few times in my other life as a Toronto rock musician, get a new guitarist. I notice when I walk into a showcase for another shitty band I don't like and see the same guest guitarist on stage. And I notice when I pay fairly good money to see Big Wreck reunited only to be presented with the same guy in THEIR lineup. And I notice when I open the cover of the cd I just bought and see that same fuckin' guest spot guy in the freakin' band!

I do not like this guy. And I think he has made it impossible for me to like Big Wreck's latest release. Never mind that the songs are at best only slightly promising. Never mind that the record is written, recorded and mixed so that only very little of Mr. Thornley's genius is allowed to peek out. Even if this was a truly goose-bump inducing record (which it is not), I would still have a big problem with Paulo Neta even bringing these guys coffee, much less playing in the band.

I'm sure he's a swell fella, okay? Before all 13 of you who read this review get on Facebook and say things like "I've met Paulo, he's a great guy and a great guitarist", I will tell you this: I don't know him as a person, and he could be mother goddam Teresa and I'd still feel the same way about him. I applaud him for having whatever skill it is that allows you to make a living as a musician these days. I applaud him because he is actually quite a good backing vocalist. But there is no way in hell he should be on a Big Wreck album.

Big Wreck is a band that can truly play and write all on their own. I think their previous releases speak for themselves in this respect. There is no reason for them to bring in a mercenary. There is no reason for them to bring in the guy that shit bands bring in to make them sound halfway decent on stage.

Correction. There is no ARTISTIC reason to do this.

There are dozens of OTHER reasons that all have to do with placating record companies, financiers, well connected people in the music biz. But those people are the necessary evil that I tolerate and buy the music IN SPITE OF. When I see a plug in Big Wreck, when I see the same guy in this band who was brought in as a crutch to make sure My Darkest Days could live up to their recording when they play important Toronto shows, I smell a rat.

Something's up here. It's like walking into your favorite steak house and seeing the local McDonalds manager in the kitchen. Even if the food still tastes great, you wonder what the hell is a burger flipper doing cooking my $30 steak.

This is how I feel about the fact that Paulo Neta is in this band. And it frankly ruins the musical experience for me. Because Big Wreck was a band that came into a very poor '90s rock scene and said "We'll have none of this weak-ass post-grunge garbage. We play guitars loud and banjos loud and we sing and if you don't like it, you can straight fuck off". And I really liked that about them. I like the same thing about Ian Thornley. He has SOUL, he has HEART, he has INSPIRATION! And yet the powers that be won't let him show it and worse, they'll saddle him with a replacement studio guitarist as a side man.

If you ask me, I think there's a reason this record is called Albatross. Paulo Neta is The Albatross around the neck of Big Wreck.

14 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that your grudge has gotten in the way of your ear canals. Let it go dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no grudge guys. Paulo took nothing from me that I thought I should have had, and I don't envy his position one bit. I am still working on music and doing what I love to do exactly the way I want to do it.

    But I think that it has been so long since you heard anyone really say what they think that it just sounds to you like I have an axe to grind.

    Ask yourself this: If Black Sabbath released a record with just Ozzy and Geezer, can it still be called Black Sabbath, or would you just think it's a money grab? So why is it any different when Big Wreck do it with studio guys?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can I not think you have a grudge when three quarters of your review/rant is about Paulo? I've never seen such venom from one
    "musician" to another without them ever meeting or having full knowledge of a situation. This is all speculation on your part. Do yourself a solid and quit focusing on Paulo and focus on the music. I'd have no beef with you what so ever if you just didn't dig the new record...to each his own. But, you're letting your own imagination taint this music that is, IMO, some of the best rock to come out in a while.
    And to answer your question...I would give two shits if Ozzy and Geezer did another Black Sabbath record. If it was good...I'd buy it. If it sucked then I wouldn't. I don't focus on labels, names, or even try to define the music I listen to. I just know I like it. Look around...it's pretty common for bands to have line up changes, for whatever reason. I'm sorry that Paulo destroys the vibe of Big Wreck for you. All I know is that he's a damn good musician and Ian's been touring with him long before the thought of calling this new collaboration "Big Wreck" was decided upon.
    I think we both agree that Ian is an incredible musician. I have to take Ian at his word that there was no record company interference with Albatross. Even if there was...it is still great to me. Just because Paulo was a "hired gun" before doesn't make him one now. Even so...the guy needs to make a living...do you expect him to just join forces with Ian and Brian just for the fun of it? "Studio guys" aren't slime...if they have talent and catch on with a band that rawks...good for them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Just WOW.

    So your mind was completely closed before you ever even heard the record, then. Gotcha.

    Because, you know, people should always do reviews about things their minds are made up about before they even experience them.

    :facepalm:

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha. I'm encouraged this many people even read my review and took the time to make a comment.

    When did I say he was slime? Did I not say he was the guy that makes crap bands sound better? I think that's a complement isn't it? And I get that he has to make a living, but if you make your reputation as the guy who will play with anyone, it becomes difficult to take you seriously as a creative guy. What has Paulo done that makes him a special guitarist? Where is his contribution to Big Wreck that would make me eat my words?

    The answer is nothing and nowhere I'm afraid.

    I'm not making value judgements about the guy as a person because like I said in the review, I don't know him. But I have seen him play live no less that 3 times and the best thing about him is he can sing good backup vocals. Does that make a guitarist worth listening to? Worth being in Big Wreck? I don't think so. That's what I'm saying, and so far the only rebuttal anyone has had is that he's a good guy trying to make a living and that he didn't affect the writing process of the cd. Not a really glowing endorsement.

    And to sheikyerbouti: I have sufficient control over my mind that I can keep it open to let some music in. Wether or not you want to believe that is up to you. I would have been happy to write something like "man, I looked at the cover and saw studio guys in Big Wreck, but the music just makes all my objections irrelevant". That would have been great. I would have LOVED to write that. And granted, I didn't get real deep into the positive parts of the cd for me (I mean, do I really want to write a 14 page review?), but there were a few. But I think I gave credit where credit was due. People can do a review on whatever they want whenever they want. If you disagree, feel free to chime in (which you have). But don't assume you know the state of my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and by the way MarcJ. Take it easy with the quotation marks around "musician" there tough guy. I didn't make this review about me in any way, or compare myself to anyone I was talking about. But truth be told, I can confidently go toe to toe with any rock guitarist anywhere and hold my own. And I think there are lots of people that would concur on that point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Tough guy." Gee, thanks.
    I wanted to answer these questions you asked...
    "What has Paulo done that makes him a special guitarist? Where is his contribution to Big Wreck that would make me eat my words?"
    The answer to both is that Ian Thornley wanted him in the band. Enough said. It's his band and it's up to him to decide who is "worth listening to" or "worth being in Big Wreck." I didn't see your name anywhere on the CD, so I'm pretty sure Ian doesn't care who YOU feel is worthy of being in HIS band.
    As for you being a "musician"...I have no reason to doubt your guitar playing skills...I've never heard of you before. It's a shame you can't apply your playing talents to critiquing the music instead of petty shit like concentrating where a backround vocalist and guitarist in Big Wreck came from.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, I left this blog alone for a while, because everybody came at me for being overly negative. But I just re-read it, and I tell you, I still stand by it.

    Marc, you're saying that I have to have my name on the CD to critique the way it was made? I'm pretty sure Ian doesn't care about my opinion either, but is that a requirement for having and voicing an opinion? Does Ian Thornley have to care what I say before I can say something?

    Are you a moron?

    Questions to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can understand where you are coming from. I have never heard of Paulo before. Tried finding more about him, but not much to be found especially about the band his was in, regardless, I believe I remember reading/watching an interview where Ian said only he and Brian played guitars on this record. If it credits him it might just be Ian being nice. I believe he was clear he and Brian did all the guitar work. Hope that eases your worry about Paulo playing on the record, I think he is just used live. Albatross is an amazing piece of work, it should be appreciated in the day an age where we have SHIT to listen to mainstream wise that is worth a damn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh and sorry for the super late response, but I did read your blog and I don't think you should be bashed for your opinion. Its a free country, we don't have to all have to forced to eat McDonalds at our favorite Steak House.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I guess your wish translated into reality as Paulo is no longer in Big Wreck. Do you know why? Was it a falling out as bands sometimes have or did he leave amicably? I'm just curious.

    ReplyDelete