Saturday, March 12, 2011

Classic Albums Documentaries on Youtube

I've had a couple of days off work so I've goofed around a bit with my recording software, just trying to learn the ins and outs of Cubase. And in between actually getting stuff done, I've been watching episodes of Classic Albums on Youtube. I watched the one for The Who's Who's Next album, as well as Rush's 2112 and Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon. I don't know why I like them so much but they're all really interesting to me. Having the musicians explain or dissect their process really gives you a peek into their genius, and ironically, it makes them look like just regular dudes who happen to written some great songs.

The thought that keeps occuring to me tho is this: None of these guys made these records while having to hold a day job. In fact, these classic moments in music came after YEARS of practice, performance and preparation. So many resources of time and money went to these guys so they could practice their craft without being encumbered by the worries that the rest of us have to deal with on a daily basis.

And really, I think that's why it's been so hard for me to get going on my own recordings. It must be easy to focus and concentrate when you know that there are thousands of people waiting to hear what you're going to come up with, and when you know your music is at least going to have a shot at being exposed to a pretty large group of sympathetic listeners.

It's quite another thing to write music, and to really put your heart and soul into it, to try and dig out all the emotion that you can when you know whatever you come up with is going to be pretty much ignored by everyone outside your family and close friends. THAT is a tough deal. I mean, I'm even writing this blog right now just to get some thoughts out of my head and "on paper" so to speak. But I'd be foolish to think that any more than 3 people will actually read this.

It's a pretty sad place to be in, really. When you THINK you have so much you want to give to the world, but it will never get past your own circle of friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment